Complete the application process
The deadline for submission of complete applications for an exchange is March 31st.
A. Determine your eligibility
Eligible students must:
- be nominated by his/her home institution
- be admitted in a regular program of studies at the undergraduate or graduate level
- be registered full time at the time of application to the exchange program
- have completed a minimum of one academic university year
- be able to submit your complete application by March 31
- have the equivalent of a 70% cumulative university average
- meet the language proficiency requirements. For students requiring a TOEFL or IELTS, official results must be submitted at the time of application
- be able to transfer the credits obtained at the University of Ottawa towards the completion of his/her degree.
B. Nomination process
- Your home university must submit your nomination information by March 15;
- Complete your file online via MoveOn (external link) , our new application system. Please take note that the deadline to submit your completed file is March 31, whether you apply for the Fall semester, the Winter semester, or the full academic year.
- In order to complete your application you will need:
- All of your official university transcripts, including grading scales. Please scan and save all documents in a single file (PDF or JPG). If the original transcript is not in French or in English please include an official translation bearing the seal of the partner institution or the stamp of its international office.
- Official language proficiency test results, if required (check language requirements)
- A scanned copy of your valid passport
For Common Law, Civil Law, Graduate, Theatre, Visual Arts* and Music** students, please submit also the following requested documents:
- Letter of Motivation (written in the language of instruction of the exchange, maximum one page). This letter should elaborate on your interests and academic objectives for your exchange program at the University of Ottawa.
- Résumé (maximum two pages)
- Academic Reference Form (PDF) * Visual Arts students must submit a portfolio.
** Music students must submit a DVD - please note that music students are only eligible for an exchange for a full academic year.
- First round of evaluations: In order to proceed with the evaluation, the uOttawa International Office will ensure that each complete application falls under a valid exchange agreement.
- Second round of evaluations: Each approved application will then be sent to its respective faculty for analysis. Once the Faculty has completed its evaluation, a notice will be sent to the uOttawa International Office. At that time a response will be sent to both the student and the partner University.
- Registering for courses: In May or June all approved exchange students will be invited to fill out a course registration form for the upcoming semester(s), even if they are registering for courses in Winter semester.